This is a temporary visa which allows the visa holder (parent/s) to stay two years in Australia with their children. You may be eligible for this visa if you have children residing and settled in Australia and they are Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. Visa holders can apply for permanent residency.
Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa Subclass 173
If you are a parent of an Australian citizen, a permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia, the Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa will allow you to live in Australia for up to two years.
This visa has a shorter queue for processing and no Assurance of Support is necessary. While there is a much higher application fee to cover the costs of medical expenses, the 173 visa allows applications to spread the costs over the period they time they are in Australia.
Your child must be either be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. They would need to be settled and residing in Australia for at least two years.
In addition you must be able to meet the Balance of Family Test:
- at least half of your children are Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens who are usually resident in Australia
- you have more children living in Australia as Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens than in any other country.
Your partner and other dependent family members may be included in your application provided they satisfy certain requirements.
What does this visa let me do?
This visa allows you and your accompanying partner and dependent family members to live as a temporary resident in Australia for two years.
You can also:
- have access to Australia’s medical expenses and hospital care assistance scheme, Medicare
- work in Australia
- study in Australia
VISA ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
To be eligible for this visa you must meet the following requirements.
Child in Australia
You must have a child who is settled in Australia as one of the following:
- an Australian citizen
- an Australian permanent resident
- an eligible New Zealand citizen.
You must be sponsored by an eligible sponsor. Usually, your child will sponsor you. If your child is under 18 years you may also be sponsored by one the following:
- your child’s partner
- a relative or guardian of your child
- a relative or guardian of your child’s partner
- a community organization.
Balance of family
You must meet the balance of family test.
You, your partner and all dependent family members must meet certain health requirements and may need to undergo a health examination.
You, your accompanying partner and all dependent family members aged sixteen and above must meet the character requirements.