The Subclass 494 Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional visa is a provisional (temporary residence) visa which requires holders to live, work, and study in a regional area of Australia. Once certain residence requirements have been met, holders can apply for a permanent Regional visa.
The Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional visa (Subclass 494)
The application process for the Subclass 494 visa are very similar to those for a Subclass 482 Temporary Skills Shortage visa. This consists of 3 main parts:
To apply for approval as a Standard Business Sponsor, the business would need to provide evidence that it is actively and lawfully operating, and has the financial ability to meet its sponsorship obligations.
Australian businesses who have already been approved as sponsors for 457/TSS visas will be able to use the existing SBS to nominate for the Subclass 494 visa. It is not possible for overseas businesses to sponsor for the 494 visa.
Employers then nominate a position located in regional Australia, and identifies the person they wish to sponsor for the role. To meet the nomination requirements, employers must show:
- The nominated occupation is on the Subclass 494 Medium-Long Term Skills Shortage List (MLTSSL) or the Regional Occupation List (ROL)
- Labour Market Testing has been undertaken – no exemptions apply
- The nominee will be paid a market rate salary, which is not less than the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT) of $53,900
- The Regional Certifying Body for their area has certified the market rate salary
- The role will be available for at least 5 years
The employee would then apply for a visa to work in Australia to fill the nominated position. This would involve providing evidence that they:
- Are aged between 18 and 44 inclusive*
- Have Competent English or higher, and their dependent family members over 18 years of age have at least Functional English
- Hold a positive skill assessment in the nominated occupation*
- Have at least 3 years of relevant skilled work experience*
- Meet health and character requirements