This points-based visa is for skilled workers who are nominated by an Australian state or territory. A visa holder can live and work permanently anywhere in Australia and eligible family members can be included in the application.
Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190)
190 visa is points based and allows skilled workers who are nominated by an Australian state or territory government live and work in Australia as a permanent resident.
To be able to submit a valid application for this visa you need to first submit an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect. You can do this in or outside Australia. If you are nominated by a state or territory and meet the basic requirements for this visa, you will then receive an invitation to apply.
The Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 190) is a Permanent Residency visa. Once granted, it allows the holder (and any family members included in the application) to:
- stay in Australia indefinitely
- work and study in Australia (without restriction)
- travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted
- enrol in Medicare (Australia’s universal health care scheme)
- apply for Australian citizenship (subject to eligibility)
- sponsor eligible relatives for a variety of temporary and permanent Australian visas
General eligibility criteria
To be eligible to apply for a Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 190), you must have lodged an Expression of Interest (EOI) through the Department of Immigration SkillSelect programme and have been invited to apply (through SkillSelect) for the visa.
To be eligible to be granted the visa, at the time you are invited to apply, you must:
- submit an Expression of Interest and be nominated
- be under 45 years of age
- nominate an occupation that is included on the relevant Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)
- have your skills assessed by the appropriate Australian skills assessing authority as suitable for your nominated occupation
- have Competent English
- score at least 65 points on the relevant points test
- meet relevant health and character requirements