PARTNER VISA 820 / 801

You are here:

What services we provide

A Spouse Visa is suitable for people that are currently in a relationship with an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, and would like to live in Australia with their partner.

To be eligible, it is necessary for all applicants to prove that their relationship is genuine and continuing. Financial commitment, social acceptance, emotional support and the nature of the household, are some ways of demonstrating this. 


The temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) allows you to live in Australia if you are the spouse or de facto partner of:

  • An Australian citizen
  • An Australian permanent resident
  • An eligible New Zealand citizen.

In some circumstances the visa can be granted where your partner relationship has ended.
The temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) is the first stage towards a permanent Partner visa (subclass 801). You must be in Australia when you apply and also when this visa is decided.

You lodge one application form for your temporary and permanent visas and pay one application charge. Your application is processed in two stages, about two years apart.

The temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) lets you:

  • Stay in Australia until a decision is made about your permanent Partner visa
  • Work in Australia
  • Study in Australia, but with no access to government funding
  • Enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses.

You can include your dependent children in your application, but not other dependent relatives (unless you hold or held a Prospective Marriage visa). Dependent applicants must be in Australia when they apply.

If you are later granted a permanent visa, you can:

  • Stay in Australia indefinitely
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • Receive some social security payments
  • Travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted – after that time you will need another visa to enter Australia.


During our consultation we will assess your eligibility for a partner visa, we will also inform you of all the requirements, the process and create a strategy for you.
Once we have determined that you and your spouse/sponsor satisfy the criteria for a partner visa application then we proceed with collecting the required documentary evidence from you and your partner.
We start preparing your partner visa and sponsorship application in preparation for lodgement. Together we go over the applications and we quality check before lodgement.
Now we have received and checked all the documents, When the applications are verified by you we go ahead and lodge the already prepared visa application.